babel babble

This is my story about Berlin, and is meant as a compliment to our travel site www.byworldofmouth.com.

Click here to see the latest posts:

City Of Lights

She's Crafty

December, now so much more than Kristimas

Turkey and Mulled Wine, Holiday Favourites in Germany




Full stops, Fasching and Fahrenheit

When moving to Berlin, I knew that language and culture might be a bit of a barrier but there are some things I did not consider when moving here. For instance, I tried baking my favourite banana bread but I found out that baking soda does not live in Berlin. After trying a variety of substitutes (including suggestions from German recipes) and fighting my with gas oven, I'm left with a rather dry banana bread and a better knowledge of Fahrenheit/Celsius conversions.

Last fall, we were shocked to find that Halloween was just a parade of dressed up expats and their kids marching down the street. We found out that the bigger celebration is actually Fasching (a mardi gras equivalent) where pretty much any costume goes... and is encouraged. This holiday, however, comes complete with parades and politician bashings!

Finally, although not knowing German has proved to be a barrier here, my "Canadian English" has received a few laughs and funny looks. My students correct the way I say "Tuesday" and " tomato" which, at times, has made me want to "call the whole thing off". Don't be surprised if I come home saying bin and full stop instead of garbage and period.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

search this blog
| Top ↑ |